We love experiencing anything new, especially if it has something to do with food. New recipes, new restaurants, and new ways of experiencing them, be that with food trucks, cooking classes, watching cooking shows and even applying for a cooking service like UCOOK.
This is going to be a detailed review of our first week using UCOOK, so strap yourself in.
UCOOK is service that delivers fresh ingredients to your door every week.
You then use these ingredients to cook the meals that you have selected for that week, in the comfort of your own home. It is pretty straight forward; choose the meals that you fancy, get the ingredients, cook and indulge. Don’t worry, you get a recipe to follow, so you don’t need to be a professional chef to prepare any of the meals. This service is great for the beginner as well as those who are a bit more kitchen savvy than most.
Some of you might wonder why you would want to do this in the first place. Quite simple actually; there is no need to go buy groceries anymore because you get all the ingredients you need to cook with and you get the exact amount. So no more buying 20 potatoes when you only need 2, no more buying a whole box of tomatoes when you only need 1. This means that you won’t waste any more food, or money for that matter. Come on, you can’t tell me that you have never thrown away spoiled food. None of that will exist anymore.
Let’s get to it.
Start of it all
The big box of food arrives at your front door, or at the office for us. This got us worried, seeing as we have a whole day left at the office with a box full of food that could obviously spoil. They pack the box with ice packs to ensure a cool little environment, so there is nothing to stress about you probably shouldn’t leave the box in the sun though.
As we got home, ready to start cooking, we noticed that this is not an easy box to open, no sirree. We didn’t want to just cut it open from any side because we weren’t sure where exactly the contents were. Trying to pry open the box with scissors was just painful. Finally, with the strength of my manly muscles, I ripped open the top, breaking the polystyrene container in the process. Luckily the food was still intact. Phew.
Let’s get cooking
Each individual meal is packed separately in its own packet and every ingredient is labelled, just in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
This is a great way to learn how to do everything from start to finish. You need to prep everything yourself, chopping, dicing, marinating and even butterflying chicken breasts.
You will need to cook everything yourself, together with learning how to read a recipe. I would say that the recipe is not the best that I have seen. We argued about what had to happen next and how much time we had left before the next ingredient had to be cooked or rested etc, and sometimes we prepped the ingredients in a wrong way as well, all because the recipe lacked a consistent and detailed structure. Luckily the recipe indicated precisely how each ingredient had to be cooked.
You will also learn about plating a delicious looking meal. This might sound simple, but boy oh boy, it really isn’t that easy to put food on a plate and make it look to die for. This is the aim of plating, because we don’t want a plate with everything just thrown onto it making it look like army food.
This takes a lot of practice though. Good thing we plate food on a daily basis.
- Having the week’s groceries delivered right to your door is just what you need when you have a busy working schedule
- The ability to choose the meals you desire as well as indicating between 1, 2 or 4 people
- Absolutely delicious and fresh ingredients make cooking and eating a pleasure
- Delicious meals that come with a recipe to teach you what flavours go great together
- The recipe can do with some more detail, especially around timing, because a lot of beginners might struggle
- The website’s user feedback is lacking in certain areas, like when selecting your meals for the next delivery. I was hoping for more detail on the website like dates of when the selection will be delivered, and a history of the meals that I chose the previous weeks
- There are only options for 1, 2 or 4 people. Someone might need to stay hungry if you’re a family of 5
- The week only has 3 meals. It would be great if you could increase or decrease this amount
All in all, this is an absolutely great cooking service that I would recommend to anyone that cooks on a daily basis.
Without further ado, here are our final plates for our first week with UCOOK.
UCOOK gets Triple T’s stamp of approval.